How Senior Citizens In India Can Obtain A Passport
Are you a senior citizen? Do you need a new passport or want to renew the old one? Whatever is your need, it is easy because the procedure to be followed is quick and simple. The steps involved are explained below:
- Senior citizens can walk into a Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) anytime during the working hours of the Kendra. They need not book an appointment online.
- Further, they can make use of the counter for designated just for them so that they need wait in long queues. This way they can complete the procedures faster.
- Senior citizens may not be able to avoid a trip to the PSK. This is because it is mandatory for all individuals applying for the passport to physically present themselves for providing their photograph and biometrics under the new system. Therefore, they will have to follow the general procedures and rules and regulations related to obtaining a passport as stipulated in Passports Act.
- You can look at our Procedures To Be Followed At The Passport Seva Kendra Center visit here
Who Are Eligible to be Treated as Senior Citizens?
In India, anyone who is 65 years and above is considered to be a senior citizen. However, you would qualify as a senior citizen for the purpose of applying for the passport, if you satisfy the following conditions:
- You are 65 years or above and you do NOT reside in Jammu and Kashmir (J and K).
- If you reside in J and K, then men should be 65 years and above and women should be 60 years and above.
You are considered as a J and K resident if you fall under any of the below mentioned three categories
– Born in J and K
– Permanent address is in J and K / Present address is in J and K
These conditions are not applicable to Indian citizens who hail from other states and are carrying out official responsibilities in J and K on deputation by the Indian government.
How Can Senior Citizens Apply for a Passport?
Special Passports are not issued to senior citizens. They will be issued an ordinary passport only. New or renewed passport will have a validity of 10 years.
- – The senior citizen must be personally present at the PSK and submit the Application and required documents. He/she cannot depute another person on their behalf to complete the procedure.
- – The application has to be filled in or completed online and the stipulated fee has to be paid.
- – As senior citizens can walk into the PSK without prior appointment, online time slot booking is not needed.
- – Senior citizens must have obtained the ARN prior to visiting the PSK.
- – Police verification is essential for the issuance of the passport.
Documents required for passport for senior citizen
- Residence proof – You may need to provide your present address proof. It can be your adhaar card, voter id or election commission photo, registered rent agreement, Bank passbook, electricity bill, water bill, gas bill.
- Birth Proof – Any one of the followings can be provided. Birth certificate, School transfer certificate, PAN card, driving license
- For More Details, you can visit our Passport Document Advisor